Monday, February 13, 2012

What the 2012 Grammys Say About America

by Tommy Lee Jenkins, III

Yes, I watch the Grammys.

OK, you got me.  I haven't watched in a while, but, given the death of Whitney Houston, I just couldn't resist this year.  I used to watch the Grammys because, in my old age, its hard to keep up with what's going on in the music world (i.e. what music to listen to, what's new, what's different, what's the same, etc.)

The Willie Nelson commercial where Willie Nelson does a cover of a Coldplay song.  I don't know what he's selling but its a really sweet cover.  I love Coldplay.  I love Willie Nelson.  The very backwards nature of an old man covering a young man's song is rather quite refreshing.  I mean, I think Rod Stewart sings some songs from younger artists and does it quite well.  It was unexpected.

Rihanna and Coldplay.  I <3 Coldplay.  I also <3 Rhihanna.  To see them together was totally awesome.  It brought back memories of the 9/11 televised fundraiser that turned out to be a sham.  That fundraiser was significant even though it was a sham because you saw artists from different genres and political idealogies coming together to heal a wound that had been torn in the fabric of America.  Coming together.  Working towards a common goal regardless of everything.  Ultimately, in today's political climate, that is what we're seeking.  Some common ground amidst our differences.

Chris Brown.  Chris Brown rocks.  Despite his thing with Rihanna, no one can deny his stones as an artist.  He was invited.  He delivered.  He sucks as a human being but he does rock as an artist.  Maybe one of these days he'll get it together and become a well-rounded individual.  I really don't think he's come to terms that he has a problem.  That's something that only time and G-d can take care of.

I really like the Home Away commercials and how they're capitalizing on Al Green and President Obama.  I almost signed up, until I realized I hadn't spoken to my closest friends in years.  If I ever did anything like that, I would have to cover it myself.

OMG!  Stevie Wonder is still alive?

Diana Ross just being there was awesome.  I just wish she had performed.  I loved her performance on Oprah.  She's old but she's definitely still got IT.  I wish she was more active.  She is a living icon and I know she has so much more to give.

That was really a punk move on Kanye West on not showing.  If Chris Brown can show up with Rihanna, I don't know what his excuse is.

Paul Mcartney can do no wrong.  He is reinventing himself.  I'm buying that new album of his.  I just never shake him and the song he did for 007.  He should do another one.  Rock + Ballad + Autotuning =  His next 007 song.  Maybe even a remake of his old 007 song.  With Rick Ross?  I don't know, maybe.

The Beach Boys sucked.  They brought back memories of the white-washing of rock and roll.  It only re-emphasizes the mantra that if a lie is told long enough, it becomes the truth.  Adam Levine really lost cred with me by appearing with them.  I don't believe in dividing America but there's something really White-Supremacist about that whole thing.  I excuse Adam Levine because I assume that he doesn't know the true history behind that time period in music.

As far as Adele and Florence + the Machine is concerned, I'm troubled that White America has to concede to another country to find its soul.  Country music is supposed to be "White Soul" but these imports are eating their lunch.  British artists are not American.  White America should be ashamed that due to their unfounded White Supremacy, another country is deemed acceptable to represent their interests.  There are talented White unknowns out there.  It all becomes a matter of if White America is not too lazy to figure out who they are.  They actually have to pound the pavement to find them.  Its a shame but not one I'll point out.  Its the Hate that will destroy the Hater due to sheer laziness.

Lenny Kravitz wasn't there.  Prince wasn't there.  Trent Rezner wasn't there.  Llloyd wasn't even mentioned even with the help of Patti Labelle.

I let it go.  On a lighter note, I feel Bruno Mars rocked and he demonstrated that we young folk can rock just as good as the old folk did once upon a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment